Monday, September 12, 2011

BDSM 101: Puppy/pony/kitten play


One of the things I see a lot of in the BDSM world is puppy/pony play. (This isn't limited strictly to puppies and ponies, because I know people who are also cats/kittens, wolves, dragons, or some mythical creature they dreamed up.)

Let's get this right out of the way up front: "animal play" in the BDSM world does NOT involve real animals. It is PEOPLE getting geared up (from bare minimum costumes to full-on furry) and acting like an animal. Also, please don't comment saying, "Well, that's not how I do it!" because I'm not trying to define everyone involved in these activities, just give those who know nothing about the subject a basic primer.

I am involved in puppy play both as a Top and a bottom. (I started out as a Top and was eased into it as a bottom by my friend who I switch with.) He is also a pony, and while I haven't done a lot of that yet, it's something I'm also interested in.

People involved in puppy play range in scale from just goofing around and having a little fun, all the way to the far end of the spectrum of gay leather pups who are into strict disciplinarian scenes, and everything in between. Pony players tend to be a little more involved in it simply because the gear tends to be more complex. Sometimes there is a sexual element to the play, sometimes not. It all depends on the players and their relationships.

Two years ago at a fetish convention, I spent a couple of hours walking the vendor floor with my friend, who was in full pup gear, leading him around on a leash. He wore a backpack containing my purse and other things, and when I wanted to shop, I'd give him a hand command and he'd drop to his knees so I could get to the backpack. I'd stand on his leash, just as I would a real dog (I used to raise and train service dog puppies), and give him praise or leash corrections depending on his behavior. He was, for the most part, treated exactly like a dog.

In his case, he enjoys many aspects of puppy play, but he wanted a "full immersion" experience. The process of being de-humanized, treated as a dog, literally (not mistreated, mind you), and there to do nothing but serve me as a loyal "service dog." In other circumstances, he also enjoys it when impact play and bondage/restraint are mixed in with the puppy play, both as a top and a bottom.

I've seen people involved in puppy play who do nothing but the fluffy end of play, as I call it, and literally just chase toys around and get pats on the head and belly rubs, with no discipline or humiliation at all involved in the play.

Now, don't confuse pet players with furries. While some people are both, if you assume someone who is a furry is also into BDSM, they might likely correct you. A furry is someone who usually enjoys dressing up in a full-body costume of their choice of character, similar to the ones sports mascots wear. Some pet players have costumes that elaborate, but not all do.

Here are a few links you can check out about pet play.

Woof! *puppywiggles*


3 comments: